Water Pipe Repair FAQ

Where do you install water pipe from? Our engineers will install a new water piped supply from the stop cock in the pavement and then down to the internal connection in side the property by the use of Moling Technique.

How long will I be without water? Usually 15 minutes whilst the engineers carry out the new connections.

How long will the works take? On residential work will usually be done in 1/2 day but our engineers will advise before work commences if for any reason work requires more time.

Not sure on what size of water pipe do I require? In most domestic properties these will be upgraded to 25 or 32 mill pipe work, still unsure just simply give us a call and we will advise you.

What should I do before the works start? Just Clear the area where your internal stopcock tap is or point of entry if you know, but don’t worry as this can be done on the day if required. Our engineers will let you know.

I have received a ‘waste water notice’ and need a prompt quote, can you do this? Yes, please fill out our fast quote form or just call our freephone number, we will respond to all enquiries.

Is your work guaranteed? Yes, any pipe-work we install comes with a 10 years guarantee, that’s how confident we are in our workmanship.

Will you need to dig up my driveway? Only if the stop cock is in your driveway if we carry out any excavations we will backfilled and reinstated the area in most cases excavation is avoided all our installations are done by moling technique.

I work alot from home? and can only be around on certain days, will this be a problem No will can arrange for a morning or afternoon visit that is more convenient for yourself.

Do you give a water certificate? Yes All our New Installation And Renewal Come with a 10 Years Guarantee and a Water Industry Approved Certificate of all our approved installers are fully certified in the following: CSCS, WIAPS, CPCS, EUSR. 

How do I pay? All work is completed on the time our engineers will ask you to sign paperwork to confirm that you are happy with them to carry your work our and also to confirm that what had been completely to your satisfaction our account department will then send you an invoice a few days later and you have 5 days to settle your invoice by Internet banking.

I have a leak can you find it? Yes our engineers are fully qualified and have the technical equipment to find and repair leaks our engineers will advise you on the best course of action if you have the work carried out on the day you will not be charged for the initial finding if you to not to have the work carried out our engineers will produce a invoice for the hourly charge.

Do you have public liability insurance? Yes we have a £5 million pounds public liability insurance cover.

If you require any more information then please give us a call on 0800 612 8038